Lorraine's VVC-ACT Spring Tour
6 - 13 November 2011

The Riders:
Lorraine Litster - BMW K75 1986 (Ride Leader)
Max Fielding - BMW R100 1980 (on V Plate)
* Robbie Evans - BMW R100 GS 1993
Andrew Green - Suzuki DS650 2011
* Visitors from the Moruya Club

# Ian Duvall - KTM 640 2008
Len Skipper - Triumph Tiger 2011
Denis Murphy - Triumph Sprint 2009
Tim Foster - Ducati 2011
# Returned to Canberra on Day 2.

...some PHOTOS can be seen HERE

The Report
This was the 4th VVC-ACT Spring Tour & as you can see only two VVC members, Max Fielding & myself, completed the ride. Ian Duvall had intended to complete the ride but broke down before the Day 2 ride started. Len, Denis & Tim had only intended to ride on Day 1, returning home on Day 2.

Day 1: Sunday 6th Canberra to Beechworth:
Seven of us started the ride at Hume with Ian Duvall joining us from the Snowy Ride at Adaminaby. Robbie & Andrew had ridden up the previous day from Moruya. It was a sunny warm start to the day, but with the forecast for the week being for showers, periods of rain & thunderstorms. This was hardly a recipe for a good week's riding but the start was grand. The ride to Cooma was enlivened by hoards of bikes riding north, returning from the Snowy Ride. These riders kept us well apprised of any police on the road by a flash of the lights & a circle motion with the left hand in the air (get it?).

Cooma was alive with bikes of every possible kind, (no classics though). We rode through & did not stop before Adaminaby where the ever sunny Ian Duvall awaited us coffee in hand. There were bikes here to in abundance. We met Peter Davey & Cath here too; they were on a weekend trip in their car.

The ride across the mountains was surprisingly warm, with clear skies continuing all to way to our lunch stop in Corryong. This being a Sunday afternoon the pub was the only place to eat & a big meal was devoured by all, except Denis who chewed on his usual carrot. By the time we left town, with a fresh tank of petrol, dark clouds were gathering, (as forecast). We rode on cautiously optimistic that the clouds would not drop their loads. We were wrong: less than 20 miles from Corryong the clouds did their thing & we hurriedly donned wet gear.

By the time we arrived at Tallangatta the rain had passed and some considered removing their wet gear. I advised not, & wisely as it happened as the rain returned as we approached the Beechworth area. On the way we lost Ian Duvall, only to meet him again in Beechworth. The hills around Beechworth & Yackandandah (where we stopped for afternoon tea) are renowned for afternoon storms. The next time you are in Beechworth look at the size of the Victorian gutters!

Our accommodation was in the enormous Old Priory, actually a disused convent. With its dormitory rooms it could accommodate over 100 with ease. For us however the fellows were given two very large rooms, one of which having been the chapel, whilst Lorraine was given a single room.( $40 pp incl light breakfast 03.5728.1024). The bikes were under cover behind the Priory too.

Our evening began in the Beechworth Brewery, where they serve interesting & strong ale, (food too). However we moved on to the Empire Hotel to eat, where there was a talent contest on, with very good performers (mostly). The food there was good & they even had beer from the Brewery. It was a delightful night & we rolled back to the Priory in very good spirits (& no ghosts in the Priory).

Day 2: Monday 7th Beechworth to Avalon Vic:
A lovely sunny crisp morning dawned in Beechworth, with the storm water of the previous afternoon (which we had missed) no more than a gurgle in the drains. Several of us, led by Robbie, set off for an early walk around the lovely historic streets. Robbie is an estate agent so his interest had a professional slant. By the time we returned Len, Tim & Denis were packed & preparing to head back towards Canberra. We had discussed routes & they decided upon Walwa, Jingellic, Tumbarumba, Tumut & over the Wee Jasper road, (which was horrid they later reported).

The remaining five of us had a light breakfast & paid the bill before we rode off at 0900. We did not get far as Ian's long suffering KTM refused to start. We returned to the Priory where fault diagnosis identified a blown head gasket (not good on a water cooled bike). Eventually it gasped into life however using borrowed jumper cables on Robbie's GS. Ian decided to limp home, despite our serious misgivings. This left just the four of us to continue! (I rang Ian that evening & he made it home: whether the KTM survives is still to be seen!).

Our next destination was Mansfield, via the mountain road from Whitfield (top ride no 49 from the Hema atlas). However this is a difficult road to find as signposts seem to deliberately hide it from all but locals & the most determined riders (us!). You could ride into Wangaratta & get lost looking for the C521, or from Beechworth take the Myrtleford road then turn right onto the C522 & follow it until it intersects the C521. It will be signposted to Whitfield & not the much larger town of Mansfield. The Victorian Government obviously thought this would create enough confusion to keep those pesky bikes off this lovely riding road. We took neither of these routes however, instead wandering around Vic back roads until we arrived in Whitfield. There is a decent cafe in Whitfield at the base of the mountain & there we sat as a mass of Snowy ride returnees took the turning for Mansfield (the only signpost for this town on the route).

The Hema Rt 49 lived up to expectations, with a good surface & lovely mountain riding; I fully recommend this road if you are in the area (& can find it!). In Mansfield we had lunch at the 'Produce Store' a strange mix of grocery shop & cafe: good food & coffee is served. From Mansfield there is a mountainous tar road to Eildon skirting the lake (C511), however during the recce trip my progress was blocked by a fallen tree ? of the way to Eildon, requiring my return to Mansfield. This time I elected to take the road to Yea & Seymour (B300/340). An aside here: I find the Victorian road numbering system very useful SA & Tas use similar systems. Yea is a pretty town & well worth a visit, not so Seymour I must add.

From Seymour we crossed a large scrubby area turned over to the Army (Puckapunyal) as the area is evidently very poor agricultural land. Here navigation again became a challenge as there are few roads spanning Victoria East to West. We rode to Heathcote (B75) then to Redesdale (C326), where there is a very unusual double iron bridge. We then took a truly back road to Sutton Grange & on to Castlemaine. These back roads are well worth the trouble of finding them, especially if you love riding the likes of a 500 Velocette as I do. This was a worthy Velo road.

We had lost a bit of time in the morning helping Ian Duvall & when we arrived in Castlemaine it was already 1630. We stopped to plan our next move, but after a call to the Victoria Hotel in Avalon to book rooms we decided to ride on into the early evening.

Maryborough is sadly another unappealing town, although on the recce trip I found the main street had some pleasant old buildings, the most pleasant being a pub, though closed & boarded up! It was 1800 by the time we rode into the pretty town of Avoca & found our pub. The rooms were clean & pleasant & the pub has a restaurant with good food, I recommend this pub (Victoria Hotel 03.5465.3362, rooms @ $43, great if two share!!)

Day 3: Tuesday 8th Avoca Vic to Robe SA:
It rained considerably during the night & was still raining at breakfast time. Robbie took us on an early walk in the rain & we remarked at the number of historic buildings including a lovely High School. Avoca had evidently once been a far larger & more prosperous town. We had a very poor quality breakfast at a pseudo fast food chain called GFC (Global Financial Crisis?). Avoid this chain if you see it.

By the time we set off the rain was waning & Max's Ipad & suggested good weather ahead. We remained in our wet gear however through pretty Ararat & on to the Grampian Mountains & Hall's Gap.

The climb to Halls Gap was very enticing with low cloud hanging over the peaks, but sadly the arrival was into a dull tourist village with nothing much to offer. On the Recce run I had arrived here to find that both roads crossing the Grampians had been closed due to the Jan 2011 flood damage. I had expected it to be all repaired by now, but the road to Horsham (C222) was still shut, requiring us to return to the Highway at Stawell (pronounced Stall I was told) & on to the dreary A8 to Adelaide. This section to Horsham was flat & straight & infested with trucks, made all the more irritating by views of the Grampians to our left, not far distant.

In frustration I took the group onto back roads skirting the north of the Grampians at Mt Zero. This took us due west bypassing Horsham (which is a pleasant town by the way) & then north to Natimuk with the impressive Mt Arapiles range to our left. Unfortunately the petrol station had been shut down in Natimuk, which left us short of fuel & unable to reach Edenhope, the next town. A local on a bicycle with a clip-on engine suggested we detour to petrol at Goroke on the C213, which skirts the southern edge of the Little Sandy Desert. And so we headed off around the Arapiles & off westward. Andrew Green on his DR Suzuki however soon ran out of fuel, requiring a transfusion from the capacious petrol tank of Robbie's Paris Dakar GS. When we arrived at Goroke we found not only fuel but premium as well. If there had been no fuel we would have been in a serious mess way out here!

Goroke is one of those brave but failed little towns with closed & derelict shops, but a lovely loo block & park complete with electric BBQ. The little shop cum cafe had only two pies between the four of us, so mini pizzas were found, poor fare indeed for lunch this day. "We don't get many visitors such as yourselves" said the cafe lady! Regardless we left Goroke with a fond memory, & for me too as I had left my bag at the cafe & had to return at high speed from 10Km outside town to fetch it!

More back roads followed to Apsley on the C240, our original route & we shortly crossed into SA & into Naracoorte. This too is a pretty town & well worth a visit, however this trip we skirted the town & rode instead to the caves. Here, despite gaining half an hour crossing the border, we were too late for the tour of the famous 'bones cave'. However thanks to negotiation skills, & sad expressions the staff agreed to take us on our own private tour of the cave. They even charged the four of us as a 'family' ho ho! ($52 for the four)

In the late 1960s a massive deposit of animal bones was found in this cave, many from extinct species who had fallen into the cave through a sink hole over 50K years ago. The sight of these bones strewn across the cave floor in abundance was quite a sight. They had erected the skeletons of a marsupial Lion & a tree kangaroo for us to see. These must have been unusual creatures indeed. The 'lion' was apparently not a fast runner but a good climber. There is a theory that it climbed trees & dropped upon its prey passing below, which may be the origin of the drop bear myth: (their theory, not mine!). Our private tour of this fascinating cave had taken 1 ? hours & evening was almost upon us. The ride to Robe was across what had once been a shallow sea (according to our cave guide, so it was flat boring riding. I had phoned ahead & booked rooms at the Robetown Motel. This is a little way from the town centre (200m) but an easy walk. We paid $240 for a two bed unit & a single motel room, we divided this at $60 each. We had a good walk into Robe & ended up having Fish n chips in the Sails takeaway. Andrew got Coopers beer from the bottle shop & a jolly balmy evening ensued.

...some PHOTOS can be seen HERE

Day 4: Wednesday 9th Robe to Victor Harbour:
During the previous evening we agreed to change our plan & stay in SA a further day, using up our insurance day (Sunday 13th). So instead of riding to Renmark, we would follow the Coorong to Meningie then take the ferry across the Murray River at Wellington, then on to Victor Harbour.

Our morning walk took us along the beaches & cliffs to the boat harbour & to the very rugged ocean side. On our return we had fine breakfast in a cafe opposite the pharmacy, which Lorraine needed for an eye infection. Alex had decided that his fuel hoses needed replacing & he had done this job in the early morning. Unfortunately when we set off he discovered he had a serious leak & this had to be attended to at the petrol station, next to the motel. During this maintenance stop a brief sharp shower came through, but was gone again before Max had finished.

The day was lovely sunny & warm, with the Coorong splendid & full of water. We stopped at a pelican nesting colony just north of Policeman's Point. The birds were however too far away to get a decent look at them. Despite its reputation as a tourist destination the reality is that there is very little civilisation between Kingston at the south end & Meningie at the north end, the only village being Salt Creek, which has a road house. It is nice riding all the same. Meningie is on Lake Albert, a large body of water itself an offshoot of the larger Lake Alexandrina. There was little to offer for lunch in Meningie, so the bakery had to suffice. At this northern end there are many salt lakes one was tinged pink with algae of some sort.

By the time we crossed the Murray on the ferry a strong wind was blowing up & the day was looking less pleasant. We were then faced with crossing a barren plain to Langhorn Creek along the northern shore of Lake Alexandrina, battling a very strong southerly wind of at least 70km/hr. This was unpleasant & to add to it all we couldn't even see the lake.

Leaving this barren plain abruptly we found ourselves in pleasant wine country & at the town of Strathalbyn. This was a very pretty & historic town & we decided to stop for coffee & even considered staying here the night. But no; off we rode into some very ugly looking clouds, which eventually attacked us with even fiercer winds, hailstones & rain. A mad scramble followed to get on the wet gear, & the BMW GS was almost blown over. However the squall did not last long & although several other heavy showers hit us, by the time we reached Victor Harbour the sun was out again. We took rooms in the Comfort Inn in the centre of town at $120 per room. After our clean up & change we headed up the main St (Ocean St) & joined happy hour at the Commercial Hotel. Unfortunately, several beers later, we had missed the chosen fish restaurant which was closing, so we had to resort to a pasta place, which was fine. Our rooms faced onto the street & I expected to be woken early by traffic, however all was silent until way after 6am.

Day 5: Thursday 10th Robe to Mildura via Renmark.

This morning we had our walk to the granite island along the jetty. The jetty normally carries a well known horse tram, but the land end station was being remodelled & there was no sign of the horse or the tram. This was fine as the walk across to the island was lovely, in the still air & sunshine of the early morning. The island has good views of the town & along the coast, but no line of sight to Kangaroo Island. On return to the mainland we had breakfast in the pub on the shore, recently vacated by a large group of mainly Harleys, who had stayed there overnight. Refreshed we packed & headed off again. I had considered riding to Cape Jervis, where the ferry leaves for Kangaroo Island,( an 80km return trio on Hema Route 79.) This is the only recommended ride within 200Km of the Adelaide Hills, the poor souls, but still, the hills are grand riding. I did not take this option however & we returned to Strathalbyn via Goolwa, which is a very pleasant town worthy of a further visit.

The Fleurieu Peninsular was very suburban in its traffic & we were pleased to get to open road again, at least to the old Princes Highway heading for Murray Bridge. This town also did not inspire us to stop, even for a picture of the old Murray River Bridge itself, instead we rode on up the B55 heading for Renmark. This is very dull riding I am sorry to say. It seemed to go on & on endlessly through low scrubby hills & some crop land. We stopped at Karoonda for a tea break. This little village was the only place worth a stop along the whole road: the others were mostly just a few houses. One such place, Wanbi I think, had a closed pub, oh joy!

At Loxton we were back on the Murray River & in a green pleasant & prosperous town. The Loxton Hotel was a great looking pub & probably good for a stay. It was crowded with lunchtime drinkers so we had lunch in a cafe instead. It was evident by then that it was too early to stop at Renmark for the night: darn it, I should have ridden to Cape Jervis! Berri too looked interesting, seemingly a maintenance base for the fleet of river cruisers which ply up & down the river with their loads of grockles (Note; Dorset for tasteless tourists). It was well before 1500 when we reached Renmark, which has a truly splendid art deco pub on the river (Renmark Hotel), well worth investigating on another trip. We crossed a very grandiose agricultural check point before we reached the border, complete with a Dunlop half tyre spanning the road (think Mt Panorama):what ???

We were then back in Victoria & on the Sturt Hwy a busy, flat, straight & dull road so we turned off onto a parallel country road into what is marginal wheat country bordering the Sunset Country (wilderness), but after our great rains it is growing a fine crop this year. Along here we stumbled upon a historic village, you know the style, relocated buildings furnished as they were long ago. This was very interesting, even more so because there was nobody there, just a tin for us to leave a donation. We could have nicked anything, but of course did not. This could only happen in the far outback. The villages along this road were mostly just grain silos, sometimes with a handful of houses, all except one Werrimull which had a pub, glory be, & nice looking too, hmm it was almost beer o'clock but we rode on.

Our back road landed us at Red Cliffs, with a short drive to Mildura: our revised overnight stay. However we were aghast to ride into town past three miles of ghastly American style ' strip- malls' a hideous intrusion upon the landscape & a huge indictment of Mildura City Council. I took us to a motel where Mac West & I had stayed on the 1st Spring Tour in 2008. I forget its name but it is opposite the Tourist Office. However I rode right past it as the front had been remodelled from Spanish hacienda style to brutal cubist (think worst Gungahlin). Behind the frontage it was the same place however & the rooms were OK & included breakfast.

That evening we walked into town & had dinner at a really good pizza restaurant next to a boutique brewery in the restaurant strip. There must be money in this town judging by the ritzy eateries & all the people around on a Thursday night! Well fed & watered we made our way home. Mildura may appeal to you & in some ways it is still very pleasant, however with its strip malls & ugliness encroaching I will likely not stay there again. Incidentally next door to our motel was the ugliest building I have ever seen, a block of flats seemingly encased in a Faraday Cage (look that up on the net) of steel mesh, all over it!

Day 6: Friday 11th Mildura to Deniliquin:
The following morning we had our morning walk in the back streets of Mildura, which were tidy & pleasant, a view of the old Mildura it seemed. After breakfast we were away again, with the remainder of the trip replanned overnight by Lorraine. We would ride to Deniliquin first along the Murray River on the Murray Valley Hwy, then ride across country NSW to Tumut for our last night.

We crossed into NSW as soon as we refuelled to Buronga, saved from the ill effects of Mildura development by being in another state! The country soon turned dry & scrubby as we rode the Sturt Hwy again; to Euston & across the Murray once more back into Victoria at Robinvale, where the old lift bridge had been replaced by a concrete one. The old lift span had been dumped in a paddock at the side of the road, a bit sad.

The Murray Valley Hwy doesn't actually follow close to the river, which can only be rarely seen. One such place is Boundary Bend where we stopped for photos. We later crossed back into NSW at Tooleybuc looking for a cup of coffee, which we found, but it was awful. Tooleybuc however is a pretty village worthy of a visit, but avoid the coffee.

Today was the 11th November, Armistice Day, it was also 11/11/11 so worthy of commemoration. Duly I pulled everybody over at the side of the road at 1057, where I recited the 'ode to the fallen' at 1100. We stood to attention before continuing: such events are important.

We arrived in Swan Hill planning lunch, to find it a very busy town with very little parking & parking meters ARGH! We found a place to park with some difficulty & ate at a cafe in the main street. We didn't like Swan Hill rather crowded & a bit untidy as it was. We considered finding the Historic Village but decided against going there, perhaps we should have. I didn't see one signpost to it, which doesn't speak much for the town's respect for its premier tourist attraction.

South of Swan Hill we passed a series of lakes, which seem semi permanent, but are currently full. The first was Lake Boga, where two closed motels & an air of dereliction suggested that these lakes were dry for a long time during the last drought, killing all tourist trade. One lake was called Lake Charm, & whilst full it seemed to live up to its name.

The next town was Kerang, where a lovely old pub in the main street seemed to be in terminal decay, very sad: another underwhelming town. However soon afterwards we crossed back into NSW & the pretty tidy town of Barham (is there a pattern here I wonder or is it just me?) In Barham we stopped for our afternoon coffee near the pleasant looking Barham Hotel, worth a look if you are there.

Our route to Deniliquin was via Wakool (We had to visit Way-Cool). This is rice country , most unlikely really but true, thanks to the Edward River a Murray tributary. Wakool was only a tiny village & not really worth the detour, however we did come across a very interesting sight. At the side of the road stood an ancient looking aeroplane with an exposed radial engine: the pilot told us he was seeding rice into the paddies. The aeroplane was Russian with a copy of a Wright Cyclone engine installed, again Russian. I was amazed to see a basically 2nd world war engine in use today. The pilot clawed his way into the air with a ton of rice seen aboard, using the grass verge as his runway & flew in the direction of the paddies.

In Deniliquin we looked for a likely pub to stay, but none looked inviting. Instead we went to the Riverside Motel ($85 per room, breakfast extra). This was a delightful place built above bend in the Edward River, which was a wide good looking river. He had a bar too, as well as a restaurant, so a couple of beers were consumed before we decided to walk into town to find a meal. We ended up at the Globe Hotel, which served a well cooked & good value meal. Inexplicable for a Friday night the town seemed deserted; why, we could not discover.

Day 7: Saturday 12th Deniliquin to Tumut:
Our morning walk took us along the Edward River into Deniliquin, where we had coffee at the Riverside Cafe, a place we had visited during last year's tour. Walking back through the now somewhat populated town we took breakfast at our motel, a well cooked & welcome meal after our walk. It was past 0930 by the time we rode off on the road to Finley in a due east direction.

This was fine irrigation country, criss-crossed with canals & ditches: we even passed a village called 'Blighty', what fun. Finley was a tidy town on the junction of the Newell & Riverina highways, but we rode on not stopping here. At Berrigan we did stop however just for a loo break & a look around. From Berrigan we were again on back roads heading for Culcairn & Holbrook: navigation again was difficult with only the next village signposted. Oaklands had a lovely pub, but little else. An old man was manning the till at the garage but the sign said petrol was not for sale, what was he doing? Rand was next & here I took a wrong turn, heading north for Lockhart not east for Holbrook. After an exciting detour on the most country of roads I recovered the situation, without recourse to the compass! & we arrived back on track at Walbundrie. You will need a large scale map to find these villages.

We rode on to Culcairn with Andrew very low on fuel again, but we got there & to petrol. This had been a railway junction town & it has a very large & grand pub next to the railway station. We had a meal at a cafe. A grizzled old Tassie biker rode in on an R100RS he had owned from new an interesting fellow.

We could see the mountains from here & in Holbrook we again sought coffee, but with no luck for this was Saturday afternoon and all was closed. Holbrook is going to be in serious trouble when the Hume bypass is finished, for its businesses are closing already. Our route signposted to Jingelic went into hilly country almost right outside the town, lovely riding in green & lush landscape. Even modern maps show dirt between Jingelic & Tumbarumba, but when we got there it was obvious that this road had been tarmac for some years. We were now on Hema Route 20 & a delight it was too. Indeed this area is awash with Hema bike routes & quite rightly as it is truly lovely country. We passed the Ducati Club heading the other way as we entered Tumbarumba, including Tim Foster who had left us on Day 2.

We had good coffee in the rather silly Teddy Bear Cafe, Tumbarumba before our descent through Batlow to Tumut. I have never stayed in Batlow but I should try it one day. Tumut arrived at 1700 & the Amaroo Motel (6947.7200: $104 per room including breakfast). This motel was not known to me before as I usually stay at the Royal Hotel, but this is far better. The owner even has a Motorcycle Enthusiasts Welcome sign out front. He had under cover parking for bikes & I think 15 bikes were there that night including a 1970s Honda Gold Wing with an H plate: well it was Saturday
We walked into town and had a couple of beers before we landed at the Wynyard Hotel. This I call the quiet hotel as it has no loud music on Saturdays. The Star Hotel is party central, so don't stay there on Saturday nights even though the rooms are good. The Wynyard has a Japanese restaurant which we thought interesting, & so it was: the food was interesting & delicious & so ended our last evening together, with a very fine meal.

Day 8: Sunday 13th Tumut to Canberra:
Our last morning walk together around Tumut. I have always thought of this as a lovely town, however close examination showed as many run down houses as tidy ones. This might account for the Saturday night police presence. Perhaps the timber industry factories outside town had brought in many itinerant workers, I can only guess at the cause, but Tumut really needs some good luck & a lick of paint The sealing of the Tumut to Wee Jasper road may give them a shot in the arm, with the arrival of more Canberra people, but on the other hand that may make it worse: day tripper grockles from the ACT in bully-boy 4WDs.

Breakfast is difficult to find early in Tumut, especially on a Sunday, so the meal at the motel was very welcome especially as it was included in the room rate. Soon afterwards we were away & it was before 0830 & still a chill in the air. We climbed past the lovely Talbingo Reservoir, where water skiers were already preparing to take to the water. Quite a camp of them was by the lakeside.

I pulled into the relocated town of Talbingo as I had never been there. It reminded me of Khancoban a little, only more prosperous. There is both accommodation fuel & a club there, all you need!

Further up the mountain I became quite chilled as the temperature dropped. We stopped at a newly installed lookout, which had not been there on my last visit: well worth it for the view. There are very few places to stop from here to Adaminaby, which is a shame as the country is lovely & the odd lay-by would be very welcome. We did stop at the Eucumbene River, but our stopping place was perilous so we soon moved on.

Adaminaby arrived & we were greeted by another large group of riders, all mates from Port Macquarie apparently. We didn't take refreshments here but soon rode on to Cooma to say our goodbyes over lunch at a very interesting cafe cum shop on the south side of town, I forget its name.

Max & I rode on together to Canberra, the last two of the eight riders who started the trip on the previous Sunday. A bit sad always to end such a ride, but it really did go well. Despite a rotten weather forecast at the beginning of the week we dodged most of the rain & severe it had been by all accounts from the towns we visited. Always the storms had arrived the day before we arrived, thank the Lord!

We rode just under 3000 Km in the eight days of riding (extended from seven along the way). We stayed off major highways wherever we could & as a result saw some great sights which one doesn't see on major roads.

How much did it cost?
Well, my bank records indicate that I spent $1043 during the trip, overwhelmingly on accommodation & petrol, the remainder being food & drink, this works out at $130 per day. So if you are interested in joining a future tour these are the costs you should expect, bearing in mind we stayed in comfortable accommodation & ate & drank well!

What about next year?

I have already started planning the 2012 Spring Tour. Its dates will be dependant upon the date of the VVC Swap Meet, which have yet to be decided. However the ride will be to northern NSW & will be of 9 days duration, leaving on a Saturday morning & returning the following Sunday week. It will commence with a two day transit to the Northern Rivers area (Grafton), then five days touring northern NSW at a leisurely pace before a two day return transit the following weekend. Local Clubs up there have offered assistance with ride routes, & hospitality: Come along I urge you.

Lorraine Litster
17 November 2011

...some PHOTOS can be seen HERE